Pages

Friday, March 03, 2006

Introducing Ernst Trent Malby

Since our big fight day, rehearsals went much more easily. Today it's almost absurd: I have the day off. Little bits are being worked, and none of them involve me. I must say, while it's nice to have a bit of free time (so I can look around the apartment and look at the stuff that needs doing, and then avoid it entirely), I enjoy working. Sometimes just because it makes me feel valuable.

Yesterday we had a good sized break during rehearsal, long enough for me to swing by the Woolly Mammoth theatre and audition. I performed a monologue from DADDY KNOWS BESS by Trent Malby. In this monologue, the character Sam confronts his wife, Harriet, with his recently found knowledge that she originally slept with him because of a bet she lost in high school (which caused a pregnancy and a lousy marriage), and that she is currently having an affair with the poolboy. Sam then uses this information as leverage, proposing that Harriet have have a second child with Sam, for him to raise. Trent Malby ( full name: Ernst Trent Malby) by the way, is a pseudonym. He is me. Well, more accurately, I am him. As far as I can tell, he's a fun guy who enjoys being a touch subversive. And he's a good writer, although my opinion may be a touch biased. Anyhoo, they seemed to like the monologue. It was a satisfactory audition.

News worth knowing: there are electric cars (with lithium-ion or lead acid batteries) being made now that'll do 0 to 6 in as little as 3.6 seconds. 3.6 SECONDS! This ain't your daddy's golf cart! They're still too expensive (hundreds of thousands of $) and not practical for long distance (ranges of a couple hundred miles), but think of this: just a couple of decades ago, the most sophisticated yet affordable computer was Atari, with Pong and Breakout. Give this another decade or two. Check out this link:
http://www.wired.com/wired/archive/14.03/play.html?pg=5

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I dunno about them electric cars. My motorcycle gets 55 MPG on an average day, costs well below $10,000 brand new and will BLOW THE DOORS off that electric Ferrari, at least from 0 to 60 MPH. The only downside is a lack of weather protection and (I assume) considerably less carrying capacity. And of course, you have to ride among other (rrr!) four-wheeled vehicles. But then, who wants to keep company with (erg) George Clooney?

Hmm. Wonder what kind of vehicle Paz Vega drives?